Up until about 2006 we had a very coherent statement of those things we hold most dear: our Core Values. Great care was taken in the creation of the list. We didn’t want what usually passes for this kind of statement – a bland list of noble words that don’t really describe the company. We wanted this list to be real. And it was. But then there was a changing of the guard in 2006 and the old set was scrapped and replace by somebody else’s idea of who they wanted to be . . . and the original list was abandoned.
I’ve been thinking about that original list lately and I’d like to revive it. It truly describes who we are (not who we want to be, but who we really are right now).
- We tell the truth.
- We believe so deeply in our product that we don’t have to stoop to techniques and manipulation to be successful: all we have to do is tell people what we have.
- We provide a valuable service for a reasonable fee.
- We make an honest living. We don’t ‘make a killing’ on every closing. We are paid fairly by the people we serve.
- We believe in our program.
- We realize we are different. We have a unique offering for the consumer that is fundamentally better than what traditional brokers offer.
- Our system works. Period.
- Our words, our actions and our beliefs are in sync. We don’t say one thing but do something else.
2. Information without obligation
- We don’t hoard or hide information.
- We answer questions honestly without technique or manipulation.
- Our selling style is to educate; we empower our customers with information.
3. Consumer choices
- One size does not fit all.
- We allow the consumer to choose the services he or she would like to employ and then we charge them based on how the home actually sells.
- Our focus is always on how we can better serve the consumer.
4. Seller participation
- We believe in our customers’ ability to handle some aspects of the sale.
- We partner with our sellers to market their property. We HELP YOU sell your property.
- We coach our sellers through the process.
5. Seller savings
- Because we always have our customers’ best interest at heart, the more we can save them, the better.
- We deliver high value service for a set fee considerably lower than the commissions charged by other offices.
6. Buyer/Seller contact
- Because we believe in our service, we don’t have to justify our existence by getting between the parties.
- We believe that most people are honest and principled.
- Our job is to coach, educate and facilitate a successful transaction.
7. Unique management model
- We believe that we can offer a high value service to consumers and make a healthy profit at the same time.
- We organize our offices to serve the consumer, not the agent.
- We believe it is our business; we hire people to help us do more of it and do it better.
8. Powerful marketing system
- We are a marketing company. We study our marketplace and our marketing to make sure we are maximizing results.
- We have a marketing plan and we stick to it.
- We measure results.
- We actively market real estate
And here it is once again without the extra verbiage:
- Information without Obligation
- Consumer Choices
- Seller Participation
- Seller Savings
- Buyer/Seller Contact
- Unique Management Model
- Powerful Marketing System
This set of 8 Core Values is more than mere words on a page. It is a living breathing entity, one we use every day to remind us who we are and to help in decision making. Any time you are considering a change to your program or a new piece of marketing or a new way of doing anything, take out the list and weigh what you’re considering against it. If it does not align with your 8 Core Values, then it’s probably something you shouldn’t do. We are a principal centered organization and these are the principals on which we base our business. Be proud of them. Display them. Share them with your staff and give them a little time every day.